Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Making Glitter...

One of my many projects that I have been doing lately is this VERY simple one, making glitter. I thought it would be messy and hard, but it turned out to be the easiest project I've done by far! Here's what you'll need:


  1. 1/4 Tbsp Food Coloring
  2. 1/2 cup of Plain Salt
  3. Foil
  4. Baking Sheet
  5. 350 degree oven
That's ALL!! Ok. so here's how it works. Start by turning your oven on to 350 degrees. Take a bowl, any bowl will work, I just prefer to use my glass ones, just in case the food coloring dyes my Tupperware. Put your 1/2 cup of salt into the bowl, measure out 1/4 Tbsp of desired food coloring (I LOVE purple). I found these new food coloring colors that come in Pink, Purple, Blue, and Yellow and I got the traditional colors as well, this way, I didn't have to mix colors to come up with purple or possibly pink.

1/2 cup Plain Salt

Once you have added the food coloring to your salt, stir with a metal spoon (so as not to discolor your wooden spoons or plastic ones) until completely mixed with the salt and you can not find any white in your bowl.

Food coloring and salt completely mixed
Next, take a normal baking sheet and line it with foil. Pour your salt mixture onto the foil covered baking sheet and spread it out until its all even and level.

Both purple and blue on one sheet
I decided to do two colors since I had such a large baking sheet. This was just my way of killing two birds with one stone...I wanted to make this glitter for another project that I've seen on Pinterest, however that didn't work! I'll explain that in a minute. Once you have all your salt mixture(s) on your baking sheet, your ready to put it in the oven. Place your baking sheet in the oven for 10 minutes or until the salt has no moisture in it. Once your done baking the salt mixtures, you need to let it set for a good 15 minutes or so, that way it is cool and completely dry. Then your ready to use the glitter like you would use regular glitter! It's that simple! I originally got the idea (of course) from PINTEREST on PlanetPals.com!!! It's such a great website to get some good ideas that are simple like this one!

My next project, that involves glitter (which is why I wanted to do this project) is making your own personalized glitter key that I got from Oceanside Dream:

Aren't these SO cute?
But when I used the glitter that I made the glitter on the key project went TOTALLY WRONG! Turns out when you go by the directions given for making the personalized keys, it comes out in a clumpy mess and looks HORRIBLE! That is the reason I mentioned it not working on this project that I REALLY want to do.

However, I have read on the site that you could also use the same recipe with sugar and put it on your food and decorate with it in sugar form and there are SO many things I plan on using the sugar mixture for in the VERY near future! (This weekend, with posts to let you know how it turns out!)

I hope you enjoyed this small little project and decide to do it on your own, and if you do, please let me know how you use the glitter and how things turn out!

Enjoy and Happy Glittering...


2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I haven't really found a use for this yet, but I know when I do, I'll post about it! HA!

    ReplyDelete